There is no doubt that moving is one of the most stressful tasks that you can do at home. If you are planning on making a move sometime soon then you need all the help that you can get. Being prepared would also go a long way in making sure that your move is going to be a success.
One of the most useful things that you can do when you want to move is prepare for it early. Ideally you should prepare for your move two months from the actual date. That would give you ample time to prepare. Cramming for your preparations can double the stress that you will be getting because of the move.
Making a Checklist
Aside from preparing for you move as early as possible, the next best thing that you can do when you are preparing to move is to come up with a checklist. That would allow you to make sure that you are doing all of the important steps for your move and that you are not missing out on anything that is important.
Here is a simple checklist that you can use. Of course you can modify this to fit your needs.
Two Months before the Move
- Go through all of your belongings. Get rid of the things that you no longer need.
- Create a binder where you can keep everything that is related to the move like papers and receipts.
- Research on your options for removalists.
- Take of the important details such as the school records of your kids.
Six Weeks before the Move
- Buy the supplies that you are going to need for the move.
- Start using the things that you cannot take with you or give them away.
- Make sure that your belongings would fit into your new place. Take measurements if necessary.
One Month before the Move
- Pick the company that you will hire and make the arrangements with them (you can do this via a site like Oneflare).
- Start packing your belongings. You can also do this earlier if you have a lot of stuff.
- Label the boxes and packages.
- Make sure that all your valuables and important documents are in separate containers.
- Notify important people and parties and change your address.
- Make sure all your mail and records would be forwarded to your new address once you move.
This is a very simple and basic checklist that you can use when you are moving. You can use this for preparing your move.